Thursday 16 August 2007

Bridesmaid revisited.

My cousin L and her live-in boyfriend have finally gotten engaged, after three years together. Woo! She's the first one out of my immediate family (I don't have brothers or sisters, so cousins count as immediate) to get hitched, so I'm ridiculously excited - we haven't had a big (read: drunken) family wedding since my cousins-once-removed got married in the nineties. The way I've phrased that makes it sound like my cousins-once-removed married each other; actually I have three c-o-r's, and none of them intermarried, thank you very much.

Anyway, I assumed L would ask her two sisters to be bridesmaids, which she did. But she also asked me! I'm going to be a bridesmaid!

I've been a bridesmaid twice before, for two of my cousins on my dad's side of the family - the first time I was 5 and the second time I was 9. So this is my first time as a grown-up, and as far as I understand, being an adult bridesmaid means you're almost obliged to get off with the best man, or at least one of the groomsmen. That's one of the reasons I agreed to do it, but now I've thought about it, I'm not so sure.

If the groom asks his brother to be best man, he's definitely not my type, not that that matters since he's also married. If he asks his best friend to be best man, he's definitely my type but lives with his long term girlfriend. Arse. Still, I might get to dance with him - right now that'd do for me, I haven't been within groping distance of a man since my birthday. It's been an appropriate amount of time since the abortion, I'm ready to get under someone again. Foetus's Father has disappeared for good it seems, not that I'd want to go out with him again - it'd just give me bad feelings, I think. Like guilt, I hate that. The guy I was seeing at the same time as FF is keeping me dangling: "when my exams are over, I'll make it up to you". Yeah, we'll see. Ex Who I'm Still Not Over has a new girlfriend - she's his flatmate, they met when he moved in. By rights it shouldn't last, but knowing my luck they'll end up getting married. I feel like I prime men for a long term relationship. Women should hire me to date the man they want to marry, once he breaks up with me he'll be actively looking for someone to commit to.

Oh well, I'm meeting up with my best friend from primary school in town this Saturday night. I haven't seen her in years, so that'll be fun, and as an added bonus maybe I'll get to do some flirting. Everyone cross your fingers.

No comments: