Wednesday 18 July 2007

As of today

the post below is no longer accurate. Keeping it was never an option, and luckily I didn't get any maternal feelings at all in my 8 weeks of being up the duff. It never once felt like a baby in there - still doesn't, it was a cluster of cells and now it's nothing. I have no regrets whatsoever.

I've kept it all secret though. Couldn't tell my ultra-Catholic mother obviously, and I found I just didn't want to tell anyone else. I much prefer to deal with things myself, with minimum fuss, and while that isn't always the right decision, it definitely was in this case. I just drove myself to the clinic, had it done, and drove home.

I want to have kids someday, but now is not the right time. I have no money, no job, not in a relationship with the father, and I live between my parents' and student accommodation. Once I've finished my course, graduated and got a job, then it'll be time to start breeding. It wouldn't be fair to bring a child into the world in these circumstances.

That last paragraph sounds like I'm trying to justify my decision. In fact, I feel no need to justify it whatsoever, because I know 100% it was the right thing for me.

I will say this - thank Christ for the NHS. I don't know how people in the US cope; there's no way I could've found £250 to get this done. Not to mention countries where abortion isn't legal - there were 5 women in the recovery room with me, and 4 of them were Irish. It was bad enough having to drive 30 miles home afterwards, imagine having to get on a plane or (heaven forbid) a ferry. I've always supported abortion rights in an abstract kind of way, but now it's top of my list. I have a lot to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you had been able to bring someone to hold your hand

ellagood said...

wow honey. wow. i just read this.

hope you are well.