Monday 5 November 2007

Help me!

I need some impartial advice.

The guy who got me pregnant texted me this weekend, asking to meet up. Haven't heard from him since June, but apparently I met him during "a very fucked up period" in his life and he's been thinking about me and wants another chance to see me. Okay, great, I'll probably meet up with him if only to find out where he disappeared to and show my disapproval, but here's the thing - what if, when I see him, I can't stop myself from blurting out "you got me pregnant!"?

Or is that a good thing? Should I tell him? Does he deserve to know? I haven't told a single person, but surely if I'm going to tell anyone, it should be him? It's not like we're going to have a long term relationship - he's nice and everything, but it's not a love match - so is that a reason to spill or a reason to keep it zipped? (my mouth, not his zipper. That's definitely staying closed this time.)

I've been holding on to this information for months, and I sort of feel like if I tell anyone it'll weaken me. Like if anyone knows, it's a chink in my armour and they'll think I'm weak. That's why I don't really talk about my lovelife with people I know, because if I'm all excited about someone and it doesn't work out then I'll look stupid. Which is stupid in itself - you're supposed to be able to talk to your friends about pretty much anything without being judged. But I don't like to make myself vulnerable.

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject. The big question: should I tell him? Actually, should I even see him? Opinions please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just my 2 cents, from the small bit I know of you from your blog...

Don't meet up with him. What will you gain by seeing him other than bringing back all the pain of what you went through? Do you really need to find out why he disappeared to get closure on this guy?

It would be different if you hadn't become pregnant. Maybe you would feel differently about him and be ok seeing him even though it isn't a love match. But you have a lot of emotion invested in the situation that he doesn't know about.

Telling him is your decision. I honestly say that either choice you make in that regard is fine. But remember, he didn't get you pregnant on purpose, so don't blame him. He has no idea. If you feel you want to tell him to let him know about a "fucked up" time in your own life, then do. But don't feel obligated to tell him either.

But I still say don't see him. Nothing good will come of it.

Sipwine said...

When it happened to me. I told the guy before I chose not to keep it. I thought I was doing the right thing by telling him. My gut instinct was just to make my own decision.

He threw a shoe at my head after I told him.

I think you should go with a gut instinct on this one.